Exploris Grade 8
Happy Friday Eve! Happy Snow Day tomorrow. Hopefully, your family can use this long weekend (again!) to rest and have some fun together. Stay well! Students should read through Chapter 6 in Crow and complete their summaries by their return on Monday. We’ve had rich discussions this week on historical events around Wilmington in 1898 all the way through the Voting Rights Act of 1964.
- Parent Meeting for those who’ve committed to Outward Bound is TONIGHT at 6:00 PM. Zoom Link We will record the meeting for those who cannot attend.
- The final total of $900 OR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION is overdue (pay online here) or Scholarship Application
- Outward Bound Course – Preparation Information This is an official OB page for Exploris. Their official packing list is posted on this page. We have found students DO NOT need everything on this list. Our version of the packing list.
- 2018 Outward Bound Pics
- The Exploris School Outward Bound Portal – Many of you still have paperwork to complete, so please get that in ASAP so that we can ensure your child’s participation. I sent an email today to families who need to complete that paperwork. Please reach out to Whitney, our OB rep, with any questions. She’s CC’d on that email.
- Covid Protocols for OB
High School Corner: Parents please update us if you have new information
- Exploris email@example.com
- Wake County Early Colleges, Magnets, & Year Round
- Charter and Private Schools
WCPSS Base – Directly through the base school’s Student Services
- Most do not start enrollment in Spring – No action needed now. Orientations in spring and summer. We will get you connected to other 8th grade families attending the same base so you can coordinate a session with their student services.
Exploris Support for High School Transition:
- Counselor Corner Website: Transition to HS
- Transition to HS: Google Drive Resources
- Letters of Recommendation: Please email teachers/counselors what you need asap (even if you add name to the application)
Updates from Admin:
- Buy your yearbook today at Yearbook at Jostens.
- Dear Exploris Families, our best advertisement is YOU! Please share with your networks and any interested families this information about Exploris’s open houses and lottery: Looking for a free, public k-8 school with a hands-on approach, strong academics, values of social & environmental justice, and firm belief that kids can change the world? Check out www.Exploris.org ! Applications for the 2022-2023 school year are open!
- If you have a student in our aftercare program, please pack an extra snack or two for them to have in the late afternoon! We do provide snacks for students who qualify for free and reduced priced lunches We also WELCOME donations of snacks to help all our kids make it through the longer day!
- Welcome to Aiesha Riley! Through a partnership with Communities In Schools of Wake County we are pleased to have the Success Coach Program at our school to provide extra support for students by removing barriers to learning. Aiesha will be working with staff and students on both campuses k-8th grade. If your student could benefit from some extra academic and/or social-emotional support this might be a great fit! Your child may be referred through a teacher, a counselor, or a parent. Please check out the resources below for more information. If you have questions or would like to make a referral please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brochure about CIS Wake and Success Coach Program
- CIS Wake website
- To make a referral: email@example.com
- Magic the Gathering Club will continue to meet each Monday at 3:15 in 8S. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join.
- Run Club will continue to meet Thursday at 3:15 in 6E. Please email email@example.com if you would like to join.
Counselor Referral Form: Please use this link and complete the form.
Important Information regarding lunches:
- FAQ about Green Planet Lunch Program
- Exploris Online Ordering System Link
- Step By Step Guide: Create an account and how to order
Parent and Teacher Organization Resources:
- The Exploris Parent Teacher Organization is dedicated to supporting our teachers, supporting our students and building our school community. All parents and teachers are automatically members of the Exploris PTO. Please get involved!
- Please follow the PTO Blog to get weekly Exploris Updates: http://explorispto.org
- Link your grocery cards, use Amazon Smile, and support Exploris with these easy fundraisers: https://explorispto.org/fundraising/passivefundraising/
- Exploris School Directory: https://explorispto.org/directory/
|Monday 1/24||Crew: CNN10, Bridge to Ballot Viewing|
Humanities: 9B word pics, Read Chapter 7 in Crow, Quiz on Chapters 4-6
Expedition: Map My Microbes, Week 2, Day 7 Notes, Start Selfie
Expedition: Tipping Points Essay
Lunch @ Nash Park
|Tuesday 1/25||Crew: CNN10, Finish Bridge to Ballot Viewing|
Humanities: #9 Mystery Questions, read chapter 8 in Crow
Expedition: Map My Microbes, Week 2, Day 8 Notes, Work on Drawing
Expedition: Tipping Points
Lunch @ Halifax
|Wednesday 1/26||Crew: CNN10 – Bridge to Ballot Discussion|
Humanities: Read Chapter 9 in Crow, #9 Analogies
Expedition: Joe Holt Speaking 11AM
Lunch @ Morgan Street Food Hall/Working Lunch
Afterschool: Drama Club, and Ultimate Frisbee
|Thursday 1/27||Crew: CNN10|
Humanities: Quiz on Chapters 7-9, Read Chapter 10 in Crow, Study for List #9 Quiz
Expedition: Map my Microbe – Week 2 Notes, Drawing
Expedition: Tipping Points Essay
Science Museum Lesson on Fossils (30 students)
Lunch @ Moore Square
Afterschool: Run Club
|Friday 1/28||CNN 10 Quiz|
Humanities: Read Chapter 11 in Crow, List #9 Quiz
|Next Week||Tipping Points and Map My Microbes is DUE!|
Important Dates (Exploris CALENDAR):
Friday, February 18 – Teacher Workday
Monday, Feb 21 – Teacher Workday – Portfolio Conferences
Thursday, March 10 – End of Second Trimester
Friday, March 11 and Monday March 14 – Teacher Workdays
Spring Break – Friday, April 8 (3:15pm) – Tuesday, April 19 (8am)
Monday, April 18 – Friday, April 22 – Outward Bound Trip
Monday, April 18 – Teacher Workday (we will be on Outward Bound)
Tuesday, May 3 – Eid al Fitr Holiday
Monday, May 30- Memorial Day Holiday
Friday, June 10 – Graduation (10:30 am), early dismissal
Friday, June 10 – End of Third Trimester, last day of school
8th Grade Contacts
Jessie Francese, Jfrancese@exploris.org
Cori Greer-Banks, firstname.lastname@example.org
Paula Mancini, email@example.com
Adrian Findlay, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kelly Fauth, email@example.com
Adrian Findlay – Crew, Math, Expedition
Jessie Francese – Crew, Humanities, Expedition
Paula Mancini – Crew, Math, Expedition
Cori Greer-Banks – Crew, Humanities, Expedition
Kelly Fauth – Special Education
Jamie Butler – Art
Julius Debnam- Health and Wellness
Nikki Kovach – Digital Literacy
Aurelia Autman – World Cultures and Spanish Language
Michelle Duncan – School Counselor
Michelle Butterworth – Interventionist
Mary Margaret Moffitt – Development Coordinator, but mostly just about anything you need!
Josh Corbat – Directors of Resources
Deborah Brown – Middle School Director